COM0011 – Blog #3
The last two weeks have been quite heavy on most of the global population. Between the murder of George Floyd, the Black Lives Matter protests, and excessive police brutality throughout these events, it’s clear that the world needs to drastically change. People have been raising funds for numerous organizations, such as Black Lives Matter, The National Bailout, Official George Floyd Memorial Fund, and Black Visions Collective. Celebrities, as well as regular people, have been using their social media platforms to increase charity and awareness on the matter. Although it’s been successful, I’ve noticed that individuals have been turning to a newer platform to entice people in doing so: OnlyFans.
OnlyFans allows users to post the content of their choice, ranging from simple day-to-day activities to adult rated postings. While the website did start off on a more innocent note in 2016, it has gained a lot of recognition since, and people started using it to gain extra income by publishing more carnal ventures. The follower must pay a monthly subscription to the earner’s page to have access to their exclusive posts. Users like Matthew Camp (@matthewcamp/OnlyFans) have been able to supplement their income by thousands of dollars a month. After an interview with The New York Times, Camp mentioned that he can make up to $1000 in a night, and more than $10,000 monthly. Seeing how much fundraising potential the platform has, numerous people decided to join the program as a means to raise money and awareness for the current global events.
Two young women, Sabrina (@sadsleepygirl23/Twitter) and Rax King (@RaxKingIsDead/Twitter), have collectively raised over $27,000 through their OnlyFans subscribers to be donated to multiple associations. A friend of mine, Mustang (@feetmama69/OnlyFans), decided to take action as well, and started attracting prospect subscribers to her OnlyFans page by donating 100% of her subscriptions for 5 consecutive days to the Peoples City Council Freedom Fund. She was able to raise $873.
Many people have been taking the initiative to raise awareness and funds to donate, but OnlyFans has clearly been one of the leading platforms in doing so. I mean, who wouldn’t want to pay for a (cheap) subscription, knowing that it’ll be going to organizations that will help change the world for the better, in exchange for nudes? Insider held an interview with Goddess Hunter (@hunternyc_/Twitter), where she expresses the following statement: “I’m just using my privilege and my platform because it’s the least I could do. […] If people send me money, they can send someone else money. Financial domination in sex work can work to benefit others as well”.
You can find a list of different operations where you can donate your money for the ongoing events here. I’d love to know if this ingenuity would persuade you to donate and if not, what would?
- Bea Mitchell. “What is OnlyFans? The porn page that has the world hooked”. PinkNews. 7 May 2020. https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2020/05/07/what-is-onlyfans-gay-porn-app/
- Canela Lopez. “People are offering to send nudes and porn subscriptions to people who donate to Minnesota community organizers and George Floyd’s memorial fund”. Insider. 29 May 2020. https://www.insider.com/sex-workers-give-out-nudes-for-donations-george-floyd-2020-5
- Eli Yurman. “Where to Donate Your Money and Time to Help Protesters”. NYU Local. 29 May 2020. https://nyulocal.com/where-to-donate-your-money-and-time-to-help-protesters-ef2727d7a9d2
- Jaco Bernstein. “How OnlyFans Changed Sex Work Forever”. The New York Times. 9 February 2019. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/09/style/onlyfans-porn-stars.html
- Moises Mendez. “OnlyFans content creator sends nudes, free subscriptions in exchange for Black Lives Matter donations”. Daily Dot. 2 June 2020. https://www.dailydot.com/irl/onlyfans-black-lives-matter-donations/
- (No Attributed Author). Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OnlyFans