I procrastinate, I’m a procrastinator, the Queen of all that is procrastination. Part of the reason I elected to enrol in this course was to make myself accountable by ensuring that I was spending adequate time studying something that could bring me closer to my career goals and aspirations. Yet, here I am, with 22minutes left on the clock and belting out this blog like my life depended on it. So, it got me thinking, how can I help out my fellow procrastinators out there to get in the flow and “git ‘er done”. Now I don’t recommend that you procrastinate…but I have done some of my best work “under the gun” and I can understand, more than anybody, how hectic and intense life can get sometimes.
So here are 5 top tried and true tips and tricks…
- Find some audio that puts you “in the groove” and helps you focus at the task on hand and closeout all distractions; for me this has spanned playing the “LOTR” series in the background to listening to classical violin, or boosting “Die Antwoord” at full volume through bass-heavy headphones (Just a cautionary note – Die Antwoord is VERY alternative and not at all safe for work because of it’s tendency towards vulgarity – you’ve been warned).
- Have a clean workspace; unless you are one of the lucky few that thrives in chaos don’t have trash all over the place and clutter everywhere. How can you expect your mind to focus when there are so many different things vying for your attention? This goes for all aspects of your life really – how are you going to commit to any goal with your attention so divided?
- COFFEE – or tea…dealers choice; or, if you want some more “healthy alternatives” maybe try dark chocolate, bananas, or citrus fruits. Make sure you are also having lots of water to stay hydrated. Fun fact: sometimes when you’re feeling “hungry” you’re actually “thirsty” so try having a drink the next time you get a late night craving.
- Have your “work essentials” in the same place on your desk; you can’t hammer out a paper or blog post if you’re searching for your headphones/charger/special pen for half an hour.
- Keep your office door shut or make it KNOWN that you are off limits to the others in your household and are not available for idle chatter.
I hope this post helps you out next time you find yourself in a time crunch…I’ve wrote, edited, and am now finishing this blog post with 4mins left to spare. What do you think about my suggestions? Any tired and true tricks of your own? Feel free to share them below! Until next time – Peace my Loves!
Find me on Facebook & Twitter @shesanoddball