Saturday, M. (2013, May 2)
As a photographer, likely one of your goals is to gain an audience for your work. The Internet allows you the opportunity to do that on worldwide scale. The challenge is finding the best way to find that audience. For a long time sites like Flickr, Smugmug and 500px were popular with photographers but now they are looking to Instagram.
It’s easy to see why photographer’s are making the move to Instagram. Instagram is rated the world’s 14th most popular site according to Alexa.
Alexa (2018, June 24)
Here are some things to consider as to whether or not Instagram is a good option for your photographs.
Pros for using Instagram
- Only social media application that is specifically designed for photos.
- Instant feedback on your photo!
- Great place to get inspired and to inspire.
- Can target your audience through hashtags.
- More likely to get your photographs discovered / noticed than on sites such Flickr or 500px.
- Don’t need a large number of followers to have an impact.
- Fastest growing social media platform.
- Doesn’t limit the reach of your photo unlike Facebook which will only let 400 people see your post.
- Don’t need a smart phone or iPad to post photographs, although it makes it easier.
- Potential of getting clients depending on how you want to use it.
Cons for using Instagram
- People can “steal” your photographs.
- Privacy setting is set at the account level and not per photo.
- You cannot arrange or group photos together. They display in the order that they are posted.
- You need to post consistently to gain / maintain followers.
Is Instagram the right platform for your photography?
Is Instagram right for you? https://bit.ly/2jVojNI
Find an audience for your photographs via Instagram. https://bit.ly/2jVojNI
Saturday, M. (2013, May 2) Instagram Logo Retrieved from: https://dribbble.com/shots/1054954-Instagram-Logo
Alexa (2018, June 24) How popular is Instagram.com Retrieved from: https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/instagram.com