Organization #1 Domino’s Pizza
Aside from really enjoying pizza and food of all kinds, I have been seeing a lot of Domino’s pizza being promoted online. It could be because I follow numerous food related blogs or the fact that I watch food related content on YouTube. I see people either really loving Domino’s, hating it, or preferring other pizza brands like Papa Johns or Pizza Hut. However, their sales currently surpass that of any other pizza chain.
Domino’s already have a massive following on social media and that is a direct result of the social media strategies they have implemented over the years. These strategies include:
- Include the word “pizza” in film quotes to make the quote relatable to the business.
- Constantly communicating with customers on their Twitter page.
- Use humour and quality imagery that will leave people wanting more.
- They have made it easy to order food through Facebook; by using messenger you can communicate with a bot.
As social media became increasingly popular for businesses, Domino’s created the “think oven”. This is an effort to brainstorm, gather insight, opinions, and information from their customers. People who participated would often share their ideas with the company on Facebook.
Organization #2 Bear With Us Centre for Bears
Bear With Us is a wildlife rehabilitation organization for bears. It is home to ex-circus bears, bears from zoos and bears that were kept illegally as “pets”. However, their primary focus is on the rehabilitation of wild black bears who have been orphaned, injured, or abandoned. Their purpose is to provide a safe and natural environment for the bears that are brought in so that they may be returned to the wild in due course. Bear With Us also educate the public on the species and provide an understanding of black bears on an evolutionary scale. They also provide information and insight on bear behavior and how to handle yourself in bear country.
What can be improved and what they can do
- More awareness brought to their social media accounts. They list Facebook and Twitter on their website, but I have not seen their Instagram account listed which they are very active on.
- Promote their other social media accounts in their Twitter bio.
- Get their audience talking and interacting with one another and asking them questions. Perhaps they could create a Q&A section on their website so their audience can ask them questions and their answers can be posted for all to see.
- Use more hashtags (#bears #cubs #wildlife #protect #BearWithUs #Orphaned #Support)
Promote! Promote! Promote!
They are great at posting regularly on Twitter, but the organization itself could be interacting more with their audience directly rather than just retweeting them and stopping there. They could reply to them more to establish some kind of relationship that would assist with fundraising efforts. That way they are letting you know that your voice is being heard and your thoughts and opinions have merit. The same applies for their Instagram page where they could reply to a comment or two every now and then.
They do have a social media strategy and overall I think Bear With Us is on the right track! However, I think there is more they could do to really draw people in and spread awareness about the plight of black bears in Ontario. With the spring bear hunt re-instated by the Ford government, more and more orphaned bear cubs are being cared for by Bear With Us. Sows with cubs are not supposed to be targeted by hunters and yet, they are. These are the types of issues that Bear With Us need to be more vocal about on social media.
Newman. O. (October 31, 2017). Social media case study: How does Domino’s use it? Retrieved from Social Media Case Study: How Does Domino’s Use It? – Giraffe Social Media
(May 22, 2018). How digital marketing crowned Domino’s the king of pizza. Retrieved from How Digital Marketing Crowned Domino’s the King of Pizza | by OMI | Online Marketing Institute | Medium