East Van Jam is a local Vancouver (BC) jam company which was launched in 2013 by Natalie Ferrari-Morton. She creates delicious low sugar jams, which can be bought online, in person or at local Vancouver retailers. I thought I’d take the time to analyze this company because
- I love East Van Jam, the jams are so good and I always love sharing with others local products to support local businesses,
- East Van Jam does engage with its audience online. However I think that they could do more to take advantage of their social media platforms. This is what I’ll be exploring today.
East Van Jam has a website where you can contact them on their “get in touch” page, you can also sign up for their newsletter to receive alerts on promotions, new products, recipes, announcements, etc. They also share recipes on their website and have an Instagram page.
Their Instagram, @eastvanjam, is lovely. Ferrari-Morton takes the time to showcase new products, other local businesses, local farmers, and shows where she procures her ingredients. I think one of the reasons East Van Jam is successful is because the company embodies the same values as its community; supporting local businesses, using sustainable and ethical work ethics and methods, recycling, and using organic in-season products. Additionally, @eastvanjam takes the time to reply to comments, demonstrating that they are listening to their audience and care about their customer feedback.
I have noticed that due to the format of Instagram, the interactions between business and costumer remains positive and limited to likes (❤️). This is great for this platform and for the business. However, I think East Van Jam could engage in different ways with their customers such as
- Expand their recipes pages on their website to a full blog, where they also share the recipes from their customers. They could ask customers to send their favourite recipes which uses East Van Jams through their newsletter and Instagram page.
- Actively engage with their Instagram audience by asking questions such as which in season flavour would they like to see next, or a poll on their favourite jam flavour.
- There are many great features on Instagram, including stories and video sharing, East Van Jam could use these features to demonstrate how to bake/cook certain recipes, show small clips of working with other local businesses (such as farmers).
I love East Van Jam because they offer a great product, and whenever I go to a local market where they have a station it is nice to interact with them in person. They are kind and knowledgable about their product. While their current social media approach is working, especially for a small local business, I believe that they could grow their online presence and as a result their company by putting into practice alternative engagement methods like the examples I gave above.