What is a personal brand?
A personal brand is in fact your reputation, good or bad it is what people see you as; consequently this determines where people place you and how they will treat you.
In an era of social media dominance anyone can find you on the internet good or bad. If you are looking for a job and have unacceptable postings, pictures, comments etc. your personal brand will hinder more than help you to succeed.
4 Steps on how to build your personal brand.
- Change your Image
- Avoid bad publicity as all publicity cannot be good and people will not take you seriously.
- Establish what you stand for and lay it out there for all to see.
- Never stop learning and growing to become the best.
- Market your personality so that others know easily who you are and what they can expect.
- Communicate with People
- Run a blog or a website to give others the chance to grow a connection with you.
- Network to build relationships with as many people as possible, and really get to know them.
- Align yourself with individuals who can help you. Do not pester them, rather make comments on what they write, keep track of their posts, and offer help when needed.
- If you have limited time, inform people ahead of time so that expectations are set.
- Make sure that people can see who you are with a great head shot or action photos.
- Promote yourself
- Make a website and blog on it.
- Have an active and present social media presence.
- Carry unique business cards.
- Display a professional headshot.
- Mean business and take it seriously by dressing the part.
- Get a well written bio.
- Succeed long term
- Spend time to create all the proper info you want to display.
- Stay active in your field to create change and be innovative.
- Take any opportunity to speak up and make your ideas known.
- Stay fresh and update your skills constantly.
- Your personal brand as an investment, one that will last longer than your lifespan.
How does your personal brand stand up?
For myself, I now know I need to sit down and re-evaluate what I am doing right and wrong with my brand; however, most importantly I think I will need to decide where I want my personal brand to take me. There are so many steps to follow that I want to make sure I know where I am headed so that I can tailor my brand correctly and not waste precious time in the end.