Home staging is the art of preparing your home to be put on the real estate market. Regardless of the type of dwelling, the ultimate goal of home staging is to highlight the home’s strengths, downplay its weaknesses and make it as appealing as possible to the highest number of potential buyers, which in turn allows the seller to sell it more quickly and at a higher price.
Home staging has never been as popular as it is today. In the late 2000s, the creation of many new housing developments and the construction of so many new homes and condo buildings transformed the real estate market into a ‘buyer’s market’. Since then, there has been increased competition and sellers must put extra efforts into making their property stand out from the rest.
There are many secrets and important, yet cost-effective, ways to stage a home:
- Get rid of the clutter and of excess furniture that makes the home look cluttered
- Position the remaining furniture in a group away from the walls
- Have fun moving furniture, artworks and accessories from one room to another
- Ensure each room is well lit by adding light fixtures or lamps
- Apply a fresh coat of neutral coloured paint throughout the home
- Use the same colour in a small room as in the adjacent room to make the small room look bigger
- Add some accents by painting one wall in a darker tone
- Replace the cupboard doors, drawer fronts and hardware
- Hang artworks in a non-linear creative fashion to make it highly visible
- Group the accessories in odd numbers – ideally in groups of three
- Create a fresh flower arrangement that will add a punch of colour to the room
- Clean out your closets so the storage space can be seen by visitors
- Finish all the repair work that was started and not completed
Of course, if you have a budget, you may choose to have your home professionally staged. These days, there are many companies that offer a wide range of home staging services. Just remember that a competent home staging professional must have the ability to remove the home owner’s personal preferences by neutralizing the space and making it welcoming, relaxing, pleasurable and memorable. Services from such a professional include, but are not limited to:
- Interior design
- Paint and wallpaper
- Window coverings
- Furniture and accessories rental
- Shopping (furniture and accessories purchase)
- Custom cushions and accessories
- Repairs and renovations
- Kitchen and bathroom remodelling
- Flooring and tiling
- Electricity and plumbing
- Finishing touches
- Photography and video production
As you can see, there is science behind home staging. For each step, you have to think outside the box – draw from your creativity, be artistic and pay meticulous attention to detail. Furniture positioning and the choice of artwork and accessories are crucial to the creation of a space that will impress visitors.
From the time the potential buyers arrive, they must feel the irrepressible desire to live in the home and dream about the life they could have in it. This is, for all intents and purposes, the power of home staging.