Social media can be really beneficial in both your personal and work life. In your work life, it can help you network with others and get your name or brand recognition, which can help you flourish. In your personal life, social media can allow you to stay in touch and up to date with family members that may live far away, or high school friends you haven’t seen in a long time. As much as these are all pro’s, has it come too far? Are their also con’s to the chaos of social media because of how disconnected we are from others? Are we putting less work into things because all of our answers are readily available online without us having to do much research? I’m curious to hear what your thoughts are on this matter.
Below I am going to discuss with you the pro’s and con’s of social media and if I have missed any, please feel free to comment some pro’s and con’s you have in the comments section below.
- It is an easy way to communicate with other people and easily accessible.
- Social media is a great place to network, build your brand and gain attention from viewers because of how many people use it.
- It is cost effective. Huge social media app’s such as Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and YouTube do not cost anything to sign up and use so it’s almost like free marketing.
- You receive feedback right away, which is great for business.
- Social media can take up hours and hours of your time and can be very draining and distracting from the real world.
- Privacy concerns. Once you post something it is out there for the world to see and even if you erase, chances are it can still be out there floating around online through the web.
- Bullying, stalking, peer pressure and many other concerning matters are at a high risk when it comes to social media.
- Identity theft. People could steal your information, profile, and even your banking information.
Below is a link to an article that weighs the advantages and disadvantages of social media. When I first came across this article, what stood out to me was the large picture of the scale that reads “Advantages” and “Disadvantages.” As you can see on the scale, advantages are higher than disadvantages which indicates to me that there are more pro’s than there are con’s. Do you agree with this ? Again, feel free to comment in the comments section, as I would love to hear your thoughts.
As you can see, there are many pro’s and con’s to social media. I believe it is all in what we make of it. For example, being cautious with our personal information, only accepting friend request from people that we know, using privacy settings, monitoring our daily social media intake and ensuring we are not on it too much. Like any thing in our life, there are always pro’s and con’s but it is up to ourselves to decide if the bad outweighs the good and vice versa.
Why are there so many pro’s and con’s to social media? https://bit.ly/2SvB2JC
How can social media work to our advantage and our disadvantage ? #socialmediabenefits https://bit.ly/2SvB2JC