In this post I will discuss social media strategy for a strong organization which is Emirates Airline and an organization that needs to adopt a social media strategy which is Farley Mowat Public School (FMPS).
Emirates Airline on social media
Emirates airline knows how to make social media work for its benefits. They have an impressive social media plan within their marketing strategy. Some of the marketing campaigns that had high echo across all social media: #BeingThere campaign which was transmitted on different social media platforms, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube. Below I will explain how Emirates Airline was able to grow awareness about their network, inspire travellers, and engage people with their social media channels.
Emirates Airline had chosen 7 Globalista (travel is their passion) to travel to different cities, capturing shots & videos and post it on the social media platforms. I will highlight 2 social media tools that have been used successfully in promoting for the campaign.
- Facebook was powerful at this campaign as it helped to reach higher targeted people and video view volumes and greater interaction.
- 120 Million people reached on Facebook
- Over 60 Million Video views on Facebook and YouTube
- Emirates partnered up with many traveller bloggers, who shared Emirates content with their followers allowing Emirates airline message to reach out for more people on Twitter.
- High amount of positive tweets on #beingthere @Emirates
- Globalistas posted daily tweets about their trip and engaged people by asking them where do you think our next trip will be?
- Varieties of contents were posted on twitter to encourage people who are passionate about travelling to like, comment and share.
- Over 50 Million impressions on Twitter
In my opinion Emirates #BeThere campaign was victorious in all standards, their Goals & visions were clear, the media efforts was appropriate to the targeted audience, and they have chosen multiple social media channels that go well with their campaign.
Farley Mowat Public School (FMPS)
I believe Farley Mowat Public School can establish a professional presence that allows them to capitalize on this social space in many important ways. Facebook Page is an excellent opportunity for schools to supplement their web presence, although FMPS has a Facebook page but it’s not active.
If FMPS is consistent in keeping the information updated and accurate, students and families will likely come to rely on the Facebook Page as a resource to find information about what’s going on at the school.
Successful presence on social media provides an opportunity to showcase the unique culture of the school and promote the academic development of the students.
Also if the school is active on social media, it will be easier for community members to get involved and share their opinions on a variety of fronts.
First steps into the world of social media
- Understand the audience, where they are? What platform they use? What they like to read about. Most popular social media platforms are Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram.
- How often to post and when
- Facebook: school can post once or twice every weekday
- Twitter: 2- 3 times a day
- Instagram: 1 photo per day or many photos if there is an event or school trip.
- Timing: it is important to determine the best time to post. Most people are consistently checking in before they begin their day or after school/work.
- Well-constructed posts are essential to attract the audience’s attention and make them engaged.
- “Emirates Be There Campaign.” Shorty Awards, http://shortyawards.com/8th/emirates-be-there-campaign
- Hersh, Fadi. “Emirates Airlines And Social Media Marketing.”Waterloo,19,June.2017, https://smbp.uwaterloo.ca/2017/06/emirates-case-study/
- “Be There with Emirates.” CREAM Inspiring Innovation , Havas Media, http://www.creamglobal.com/case-studies/latest/17798/37670/be-there-with-emirates/