According to Merriam-webster.com, Social Media is described as, “forms of electronic communication (such as websites for social networking and microblogging) through which users create online communities to share information, ideas, personal mesages and other content (such as videos).”
To me, from a personal standpoint, Social Media are various platforms that allow friends and family to connect around the world. It can also be used to network with potential employers or clients.
From a business standpoint, Social Media has become a vital tool for businesses to market their product or service. Below are some general social media marketing statistics, pulled from dreamgrow.com, that provides proof of how beneficial the use of social media can be for business:
1. Online adults aged 18-34 are most likely follow a brand via social networking (95%).
2. 71% of consumers who have had a good social media service experience with a brand are likely to
recommend it to others.
3. There are 1.65 billion active mobile social accounts globally with 1 million new active mobile social users
added every day.
4. 96% of the people that discuss brands online do not follow those brands’ owned profiles.
5. Visual content is more than 40 times more likely to get shared on social media than other types of content.
So now that you have a rough idea of what social media means to me, what does it mean to you? Do you use it for personal use, business use or both?