No matter where you go in the world there is always somewhere you can connect to social media. Rather it be a restaurant, shopping mall or basically any building free wifi is everywhere. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? I think it can be both good and bad.
There are many good things about having an instant connection at your fingertips, if you are working and need a connection to write a paper, or post on your website all you need to do is stop by a local coffee shop, a McDonalds, library or basically any building now a day, and boom your connected. People all over the world use social media to:
- connect with family and friends and use it to meet new people
- get different opinions on things
- can help you find things (locations, hotels, houses for sale etc.)
- bring people with the same interests together
- can make a name for yourself
- instant messaging (email rather than send an actual letter that would take days)
With all good things, there are also bad things that come along with it. Streets and parks used to be filled with kids of all ages running around, screaming, and laughing and playing, but now if you look outside your lucky if you see a few. Kids now are getting so involved with video games, playing on their parent’s phones that they aren’t even leaving the house. They are being introduced to social media at such an early age that they are growing up to be glued to technology. More negatives are:
- catfishing (when people pretend to be someone they are not and pursue someone)
- once you say something it can be posted all over social media in minutes
- people are losing their communication skills in person
- putting children at risk of meeting online predators
The pros and the cons are endless and different for everyone so its up to you, do you think social media is having a good or negative effect on the world?