Ever wonder what it takes to make a living off of a blog? Well, look no further. I’m here to hopefully shed some light into the mysterious ways that bloggers carve their digital careers.
It may help if we put a highly successful blogger under the microscope. Leandra Medine, creator of The Man Repeller blog and author of Man Repeller: Seeking Love. Finding Overalls., is one such individual.
In an article with the Daily Mail she mentions why she chose the name for her blog: “Good fashion is about pleasing women, not men, so as it happens, the trends that we love, men hate. And that is fantastic.” She even created a post defining, humorously, what the term means:
Aside from the catchy name, Medine’s fashion posts generated a lot of views. Her blog was extremely popular a few years ago when she began, and its success will always change as readers determine its relevance. But even now her site is worth roughly CAD 1.081 million according to WorthyofWeb.com, an online calculator of website revenue. To put this in perspective, the blog would currently make CAD $293,375 per year. That’s quite something!
As far as tips go, Meghan Blalock, associate editor for StyleCaster, wrote a post on how to grow a blog, particularly one in fashion. She claims that these six elements are important to keep in mind when starting:
- Brand Partnerships
- Start reaching out to small brands; not every opportunity will be paid
- Focus on having a sleek, reputable website
- You need strong photography skills with high-quality images
- Grow web traffic with hard work and dedication
- Social Media
- Instagram is often a gateway platform; easy to scroll through images
- Connect your accounts
- Pick the most relevant networks for you and stick with them
- Know Your Voice
- Have a clear point of view and be unique
- What can you offer that others can’t?
- Be Prepared to Invest
- Everything costs money (photography cameras, clothes, makeup, anything you feature in your blog)
- Don’t ever expect to get free products (from brands) until you have an established reputation
- Learn from Your Mistakes
- Don’t strive for perfection, but for an authentic blog
I never knew about all of the behind-the-scenes action that takes place when a person decides to take blogging seriously. There are always so many uncertainties when we start something ourselves, but then there are also many rewards that can provide us with a lot of pride and joy.
With all of the tools we have now, from Google Analytics to ROI, we can monitor the growth of our creations from start to finish. It is truly an amazing thing when something online can produce so much tangible success out in the real world.
If you had all of the time in the world, would you ever consider running a blog full-time? What topics of interest do you think would make a blog successful? Have you read any posts from high-profile bloggers?