Since the introduction digital DJing in the 90’s the argument of what is better: Digital or Vinyl DJing has been occurring. There are a lot of advantages and disadvantages of either methods of DJing. I will go through the reasons given by the research I have found, and my personal opinion as I DJ from time to time.
I’ve been searching the internet looking at the opinion of DJ’s around the world using variety of methods example: vinyl with turntables, CDJ’s (compact disk players), Midi controllers and time encoded vinyl used with computer software. I personally use CDJ’s and vinyl. While doing my research I have come across many people saying that it is all up to the DJ and what they prefer.
I did some questioning using Facebook asking fellow DJ’s what they thought of the argument of “Vinyl vs Digital”, and I have compiled some comments which appeared the most often:
- “Digital format makes it far too easy to arrange pre mixed sets which is happening everywhere, which, in my opinion isn’t dj’ing.”
- “Vinyl offers a much warmer, deeper sound, using vinyl puts the dj in closer contact with the music and takes more skill to master.”
- “Technically speaking sound quality is better with vinyl then with cd’s because there is no compression.”
- “Digital provides all the benefits of analogue DJing; without any of the drawbacks.”
- “There is a reason why even the most dedicated group of vinyl purists, the scratchers, went digital. It’s because it’s better.”
- “Digital allows you to add things instantly and also if there are sudden songs or whatever you don’t have you can download rather than not use them because you don’t have them”
By the looks of how the survey went with the DJ’s and music enthusiasts, it seems to be seen as it all depends on what you prefer and it doesn’t matter on which method you use. I use vinyl and CDJ’s while I am at home and for the convenience when going to gigs, controllers and CDJ’s would be my choice.
What format of music do you prefer? Listening to your music on a record player or would you prefer listening to it on a digital format ie. CD or MP3?